Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Master Bathroom Throwbacks and a New Floor

My home provides me with the creative outlet that I crave. Blogging my projects helps to hold me accountable from start to finish. By sharing with you, hopefully, I can inspire and encourage while making new friends along the way. Oh, and we have birds! Lots of birds, and I'll share that too.

To kick off my first post, I thought I'd share some really old photos of our master bathroom. 

We've just installed new floors, and I can't wait to show you!

 But first ...

I thought it would be fun to look back and see a few of the different paint colors and styles I've had over the years. 


Yep, that is red. Actually, I loved this color for a time. 

The rest of the house was gold. Think Tuscan. 

I remember having the hardest time deciding on an accent color.

I went with brown. (my youngest daughter belly laughed when she read this). Why is brown funny?

Now this looks really dark and really red... 

with a side order of brown.


My season of all things beach related. 

Maybe I was thinking Staycation?



Then there was the time I painted my entire house blue. 

Every. single. room. 

Funny thing is I don't even like the color blue that much. 

But I do like to paint.

I tell you this to help someone out there feel better about themselves.  

Sometimes I look back and wonder what was I thinking. 

All the trials and errors helped me find my style so I guess it's all good.


Here I was getting closer to finding the style that fits me best. 

I love white walls. 

I discovered that I love neutral colors, contrast, textures, and wood tones.



Fast forward to now


Here is a recent BEFORE photo.

We lived with carpet in our bathroom for 23 years.

23 years!

Carpet in a bathroom is NOT a good idea.

Words can't express how happy I am to see it go! 



Here's my youngest son pulling staples out of the floor.

We also had to remove particle board from the closets. Have you ever removed particle board? It reminds me of graham crackers, and it comes up in little pieces...

Not fun.


We contemplated getting rid of the tub because we hardly ever use it. 

In the end we decided to keep it and take the bottom step off because that was my biggest complaint. It was difficult to step over to open the blinds.


Removing the step was messy. 

We are building a new panel for the front of the tub. 

My husband is my very own Chip Gaines. I tell him what I want, and he builds it for me. 

What a blessing!


We have separate vanities.

It's a wonderful thing for a marriage!  

I plan to update the cabinets by painting, adding new hardware, and replace the faucets. 


I'm glad we had this little bit of tile on the floor in front of our shower, so I had the chance to see if I liked it or not. 

I'm not a fan.



Here's a sneak peek of our new floor. It's sheet vinyl. 

We had this same floor in a different pattern put in our kitchen a few years ago. It's easy to keep clean, so I knew I wanted it in our bathroom as well. 

I love how pretty the afternoon sun reflects onto the new floor. 

Cue happy dance.

 
The Lord knows how long I've wanted to get rid of the carpet, and I am beyond thankful for this new floor. I'm reminded how God cares even about the little things in our lives... 

If it matters to us, it matters to Him.

I'm excited to finally get some projects done and share them with you. 

Thank you so much my friend for stopping by
Farmhouse and Feathers!
Sherry

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I'm so glad you could stop by!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to Blog-land, you have been missed. I was excited when I saw that you had left a comment on my blog and came right over to visit. Your new floor looks amazing and you are going to enjoy having that carpet out and something this easy to keep clean. I is surprising how our tastes in decorating change throughout our life time, but that is one of the things that keeps life interesting. I think that your two separate sinks are wonderful, especially when you are both getting ready at the same time. When we downsized to our little country home we went from two baths to one . . . that can be a juggling act at times, LOL.
    Have a sweet day and again welcome back.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie! You are so sweet and such an inspiration to me. Yes it is amazing how our taste change over time. It was fun when my daughter and I were looking back at old photos of our home. I love change! I always look forward to updating and changing things when I can. When we build our home all those years ago, we had no idea what we were doing but I'm glad we built a large bathroom... it's been a blessing for sure. Thank you again for your encouragement and I'm glad to be back.

      Delete
  3. Oh our choices of old. I had to laugh - my master bath went through it's growing pains too...hunter green, loud wall paper, and so on. And carpet! Who ever thought that was a good thing to put in a bathroom? Yours is going to look pretty! Can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cecilia! Hunter green! It’s still a favorite of mine in small doses. I think wallpaper is making a comeback but not at my house lol! There are some pretty patterns but too much of a commitment for me. I hope you’re doing well and I’m so glad you stopped by today!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherry...welcome back to Blogland! I do like the new look in your bathroom...it looks so clean. So glad you got rid of that carpet too and the tile looks great against the white wall and black & white pattern. I do love my red too but more and more I am wanting a little less of it in my house. I made a decision after watching "Anne with an "E" (new version Anne of Green Gables on Netflix) that I was in love with the old farmhouse that became her home...white paneled walls mostly...but I will tell you that there will be some small vintage print wallpaper in a bedroom or two of the farmhouse that we will be building next year in TN. Looking forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debby, I know you must be so excited to build your own home. I haven't watched the new Anne yet but now you've got me interested. I catch myself studying the home decor in movies etc... too. Thank you so much for stopping by friend!

      Delete
  6. Love this Sherry. Your bathroom is looking great so far. I cannot wait to see it completely done.
    You go girl.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kris! You know you are the one who started this whole white decorating thing with me years ago... LOL! I can't wait to see it completely done too. It's taking us a while! All the little details and one thing always leads to another. But it's fun and I enjoy the journey. Most of it anyway ;)Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see the finished room!
    I liked the red though. ;)

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melinda! I liked the red too but it did make my bathroom dark. I'm so thankful that paint colors are NOT permanent... change is good! Have a blessed day friend!

      Delete
  8. Wow it is just gorgeous, love the flooring, so nice to have a handy husband, mine is handy too but he doesn't care to work on that stuff anymore :( I would love to get new floors in my living room and hall way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    WOW!! It is beautiful. I really like the color choice for the floor.
    I hope you do plant some cannas again. ;-) Do you have a garden this summer?
    Happy to have you back to blog land.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carla, Thank you! And no I don't have a garden this year. We have just been too busy with other things. My son planted a very small one so we have cherry tomatoes and cucumbers for salads but nothing like we used to have. I'll let you know about the cannas if I decide to plant them. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Oh I love what you did with the bathroom. The floor looks great and will be a lot easier to clean. My mom used to have carpeting too in her bathroom. The floor in the bathroom is more updated now.
    Welcome back to blogging.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie! Thank you so much! And yes it's already much easier to keep clean even though we still have a mess in there... working on projects still. Getting a little bit done at the time. I'm so glad you could stop by!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Marty! I pray you are feeling better! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Your bath looks fabulous now! I really love the flooring...smart choice, and the 2 separate vanities. It's great that you have the past pictures. They don't show mistakes, I can see all the creative ways you've changed up the bath over the years, and each style was very pretty and classy. You are really creative!

    Thanks for your visit! Glad you are back to blogging!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane for the kind comments. I've missed blogging. It's good to be back. Have a great week friend!

      Delete
  13. What a stunning makeover, the floor is beautiful and will make life a little easier for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It's already easier! Carpet, moisture, dust ... do not go together. I'm very thankful for these floors :) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful bathroom AND floor!! I need info on the floor! We need to replace a kitchen floor and I think sheet vinyl is the way for us to go. Can you share info on what you have??? Good for a kitchen too????
    Many thanks and blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete