Wednesday, July 25, 2018

My Newly Painted Bed Frame and a New Rug.

Several years ago, I decided to paint my bed.



I was scared. This was not cheap furniture. It was gifted to us from my husband's parents. 

What if I messed it up...

Will I have regrets?

I took a deep breath and made up a batch of homemade chalk paint.



 And I did it! I've never looked back.

Well... until today.

I decided to paint my bed black. I really like the wrought iron black beds you see everywhere, but I really don't want a new bed. 

I like my bed.

I wanted the headboard to be nice and smooth, so I scraped and sanded and scraped and sanded some more, until I had this.



 I love the chippy white paint with the wood showing through, and I almost went in that direction.

I get distracted easily.

But, I stayed on task and painted the bed black.

The color is called Black Magic. I picked up a gallon on clearance at Lowe's for $5.00. The brand is Olympic.


I love when the clearance paint happens to be a good color. It's a semi gloss. I primed first and then painted.


Notice we changed out the narrow side boards with these wider ones. 



This is how we attached them to the bed frame.




I really like that the box springs are now covered. That always bothered me. Problem solved.



 I found this rug on clearance at Walmart. It reminds me of Jute or burlap, and the price was great for a large rug. It actually feels good underfoot too.


I used these $5 sheets for curtains. Sheets are a good choice if you don't want to spend a lot and you need longer curtains. 


And here is what I have so far...


It's still a work in progress, and I can't wait to show you the rest of the room. Have a great day!

Thank you for stopping by. 
Sherry
 Linking with-

15 comments:

  1. I like all the incarnations of your bed. The black makes it stand out with the other colors. Your home decorating skills are wonderful. BTW, I have the same bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great look! I've used cheap sheets for curtains as well on on my pantry shelf. It was great because there's already a pocket for the rod at the hem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...awesome job. I do like the black bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherry, I saw your comment on Melinda's blog, and the cute name for your blog caught my eye. Farmhouse and Feathers sounds like a place I would love to be:) Your bed makeover is amazing! I love the black paint, and how clever that you made new sideboards. I've painted a lot of furniture in the past, but not so much anymore. I do love seeing other people's projects. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that turned out great! It looks so farmhouse! More so than when it was white. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhh Sherry so pretty. Love it black.
    Hugs and Happy Thursday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out so great, I do love the color and the thicker boards, the white curtains look great and how wonderful to find everything on sale. Great size of the rug too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing. Love the bed painted black and the rug and curtains are both fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, what a great transformation! You hung in there with the bed and I understand when you have a nice piece of furniture but grow tired of the look. We have four poster traditional furniture in our bedroom. I'd love to jazz it up but that's not in my husband's book of understanding. :)

    Your room turned out great. I love the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherry, you always pay so much attention to detail and really know how much to add and when to stop. Your room looks amazing. I love how you folded the sheets at the top so that it added an extra element of texture and charm. Then I noticed the drawers that you use for storage. That's a very pretty way to solve your storage problems. Do you have them on small wheels or Teflon sliders?
    I can just imagine how hard it was to paint your bed the first time. I love paint, but when it is high quality wood, it can be scary. Yours turned out beautiful; I liked it white but I like it black, too. It's so much fun to make changes and when you have such a good eye for design and working on a budget, it doesn't have to cost that much. You know how to stretch a dollar and turn your designs into million dollar looks. Perfection!!!
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the room :)
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry, your post made me smile. Painting something and then repainting it the original color is exactly something I would do ;) Your bedroom looks great! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it. I can see why you like your bed. I do too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post. I am definitely inspired to makeover my bedroom. Happy Summer, Kippi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! We are stilllll trying to finish our bedroom.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saved as a favorite, I love your web site!

    ReplyDelete